Stewartby History Timeline

Stewartby Timeline

1889
1889

The London Brick Company was founded in Fletton, Huntingdonshire

The London Brick Company was founded in Fletton, Huntingdonshire
The London Brick Company owes its origins to John Cathles Hill, a developer-architect who built houses in London and Peterborough. In 1889, Hill bought the small T.W. Hardy & Sons brickyard at Fletton near Peterborough, and the business was incorporated as the London Brick Company in 1900
1897
1897

Brickmaking begins in Stewartby

Brickmaking begins in Stewartby
Originally two Wootton farming settlements, Wootton Pillinge and neighbouring Wootton Broadmead, the Wootton Pillinge LBC village was in 1936 renamed Stewartby, taking its new name from the Stewart family, directors of London Brick Company since 1900
1900
1900

Halley Stewart and his son, P. Malcolm Stewart become directors of B.J. Forders and Son

Halley Stewart and his son, P. Malcolm Stewart become directors of B.J. Forders and Son
Halley Stewart entered his father’s business in 1891. Halley and his son Malcom Stewart then became directors of the cement business in which the family was interested – B. J. Forder & Son Ltd – became part of the British Portland Cement Manufacturers Ltd in 1912
1901
1901

Wootton Pillinge Brick Company founded.

Wootton Pillinge Brick Company founded.
During the year 1900-1901 L.B.C. acquire land in Bedfordshire including land in Wootton Broadmead owned by James Randall
1905
1905

L.B.C. acquire 450 acres in Wooton Pillinge

L.B.C. acquire 450 acres in Wooton Pillinge
There were already several brickyards throughout the county. London Brick capitalised on this and bought the company of James Randall in 1900, operating in Wootton Broadmead, shortly followed by a further 450 acres of land at Wootton Pillinge in 1905.
1920
1920

L.B.C and Wootton Brick Company merge.

L.B.C and Wootton Brick Company merge.
The Wootton Pillinge Brick Company, founded in 1901, was finally bought out by LBC during the slump of the early 1920s. The two companys then went on to merge together.
1923
1923

L.B.C. and B.J.Forders and Son merge to create London Brick Company and Forders Ltd. (Eventually shortened back to London Brick Company Ltd.)

L.B.C. and B.J.Forders and Son merge to create London Brick Company and Forders Ltd. (Eventually shortened back to London Brick Company Ltd.)
1926
1926

Proposed plans of a Garden Village called Stewartby submitted, which was a model village built in the existing Hamlet of Wootton Pillinge. Designed by Mr F.W. Walker, the architect for the Company.

Proposed plans of a Garden Village called Stewartby submitted, which was a model village built in the existing Hamlet of Wootton Pillinge. Designed by Mr F.W. Walker, the architect for the Company.
In 1926 the LBC began to build a ‘garden village’ for it’s employees at Wooton Pillinge; the village was to be named Stewartby after Sir Halley Stewart.
1928
1928

First Square completed (Churchill Close). The houses were very modern for the time as they had a water supply, drainage, electricity etc

1929
1929

Stewartby Memorial Hall built in memory of the villagers who lost their lives in World War 1 and is where the Parish Meetings have taken place since 1937. Designed by E Vincent Harris.

Stewartby Memorial Hall built in memory of the villagers who lost their lives in World War 1 and is where the Parish Meetings have taken place since 1937. Designed by E Vincent Harris.
Stewartby Memorial Hall ws built in 1929, The memorial hall stands in the centre of Stewartby, the roll of honour consists of four stone plaques set into the inner walls.
1931
1931

Proposed plans to make Stewartby a separate parish were turned down by Wootton Parish Council.

Proposed plans to make Stewartby a separate parish were turned down by Wootton Parish Council.
1932
1932

Stewartby Social Club officially opened on the 11th July

Stewartby Social Club officially opened on the 11th July
1933
1933

General Store built in the centre of the village.

General Store built in the centre of the village.
1934
1934

Further 3 Squares Built (Alexander, Montgomery And Wavell Closes) Designed By Mr F.W. Walker.

Further 3 Squares Built (Alexander, Montgomery And Wavell Closes) Designed By Mr F.W. Walker.
1936
1936

Stewartby recognised as the largest brickworks in the world employing 2,000 people to produce 500 million bricks a year.

Stewartby recognised as the largest brickworks in the world employing 2,000 people to produce 500 million bricks a year.
1936

Stewartby School opened (Now Marston Vale Middle School) An architectual competition took place with 5 designs entered. The winning design was by Mr Oswald P. Milne.

Stewartby School opened (Now Marston Vale Middle School) An architectual competition took place with 5 designs entered. The winning design was by Mr Oswald P. Milne.
The Stewartby school was opened. as of 2017 the school is named Marston Vale, which takes in children from the surrounding area
1937
1937

Creation of the Parish of Stewartby

Creation of the Parish of Stewartby
The Land is made up of 1946 acres mainly from land from the Parish of Wootton which was owned by the London Brick Company and Forders Ltd. By request of Sir Percy Malcolm Stewart who was the first Chairman of the Newly formed Parish Council.
1951
1951

New estate built for brick workers

New estate built for brick workers
Park Crescent, Pillinge Road, Rousbury Road and Magpie Avenue, Play area and Stewartby United Church were built for the Stewartby brick workers
1955
1955

Sir Malcolm Stewart Trust homes built to house retired brick workers

1964
1964

Broadmead Lower School built

Broadmead Lower School built
1970
1970

The Pillinge clay pit is transformed into a lake as part of the Marston Vale country park.

The Pillinge clay pit is transformed into a lake as part of the Marston Vale country park.
1970

Subsiduary company, London Brick Land Development Ltd

Subsiduary company, London Brick Land Development Ltd
Subsiduary company, London Brick Land Development Ltd (Renamed London Brick Landfill Ltd in 1977) is set up to provide a service to dispose of domestic and industrial waste into the worked out clay pits.
1984
1984

London Brick Company taken over by the Hanson Trust and all company houses put up for sale.

1990
1990

A new housing estate built, The Meadows, The Pastures and the Industrial units on Broadmead Road.

2003
2003

Large parts of Stewartby designated as a Conservation Area.

2008
2008

Brickworks close after over 100 years of brickmaking in the area.

Brickworks close after over 100 years of brickmaking in the area.
Brickworks close after over 100 years of brickmaking in the area. 4 Chimneys and kilns given Grade 2 listed status. Children’s play area removed, giving children of the village no where to play.